GreyGhostGames

OGL FAQS

OGL FAQS

1) What is the Open Game License?

The Open Game License is a legal document originally created by Wizards of the Coast in 2000. It is made to assist in sharing game mechanics, but still protecting the rights of the creator. It's a pretty simple document to understand.

2) Do I have to use it?

If you use any of the mechanics of the Fudge system you have to include the open game license. This is part of the share-alike concept that you cannot make something for a free engine and not share it with others.

3) Do I have to release my stuff under this license?

Make sure you understand that there are two parts of the license. There is the game mechanic which is a rule on how to do something and then Product Identity which is the world content (background, art, etc).

To give you an example for a world I have designed called Blood In Space, I made a few mechanics rule on working with character fear and morale and then the world that characters live in. I have to releas the fear and morale rules under the Open Game License while I can release the world content under either normal copyright or as I did under the Creative Commons license.

Remember, only the mechanics are released under OGL.

4) What if I don't want to use it for game mechanics?

If you do this then you'll be in violation of the license. I know in the case of fudge, Mrs. Dupuis will let you know you're not compliant and give you a chance to make it so. If you continue to refuse to then you're going to wind up having your mechanics blocked. You could even face legal charges at the extreme.

The rule is so simple that I don't see why you would not just use it.

5) I don't loose my rights to my content then under OGL?

Again, Mechanics are the only thing under OGL and you're still the creator of it. It's just that you have to release it like the system is.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: OGL FAQS

JonathanS223 wrote:

I have to releas the fear and morale rules under the Open Game License while I can release the world content under either normal copyright or as I did under the Creative Commons license.

Actually, if the fear and morale rules aren't part of the original Fudge rules, you actually don't have to release them as Open Game Content (OGC). You can declare whatever you like as open and closed, just make sure you're explicit about it. For instance, in the Mutants & Masterminds rules, all the original d20 rules are open, as are all the new rules (powers, feats, etc) EXCEPT for their version of Hero Points. They decided to keep that to themselves.

Second - Really? Creative Commons? I looked in your document and can't find mention of that. What license is it under?

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Hey!

Really? Hmmm. I gotta go over it again as I did write this awhile ago and forgot to post it. The creative commons is in the new, yet unreleased version of Blood In Space. I guess I had expected to have it released by now.  Almost done!

JonathanS223 wrote:

The creative commons is in the new, yet unreleased version of Blood In Space.

Actually, you can release world information under the Open Game License simply by declaring it Open Content rather than Product Identity. The OGL isn't just about rules.

Using both the Creative Commons license and the Open Game License for different pieces of a single body of work is not a good idea, as it can be confusing and legally messy. The two licenses do not play very well together.

Ann DupuisGrey Ghost Press, Inc.

Much of the following is correct, but the information about game rules versus Product Identity is a misinterpretation of what "Open Content" covers under the Open Game License.

"Open Content" is simply anything you want other people to be able to use in their own works under the same license (the Open Game License).

That MUST include any work that's based on anything released under the OGL. That includes anything in the Fudge System Reference Document (essentially the Expanded Edition of Fudge published in 2000) and also in the Fudge 10th Anniversary Edition. Plus any Fudge materials you're using from other Fudge publishers and designers.

It MAY include any rules mechanics of your own that are add-ons to Fudge that are not derived from previous Fudge material. But it doesn't have to. An example of this is Evil Hat's Dresden Files game. As Fred Hicks states on their "Using Fate With The OGL" page, "The new rules material in the Dresden Files RPG is sufficiently entangled with IP owned and originated by Jim Butcher that we declined to make any of its content open."

Open Content MAY also include any content that would qualify as "Product Identity" that you decide to share under the Open Game License. You can release anything you have copyrights to as Open Content if you wish. Most people who want to publish Fudge material for sale will retain some material as Product Identity (especially setting and story and character material) to keep that material proprietary.

I hope that helps clear up any questions on Open Content versus Product Identity!

JonathanS223 wrote:

1) What is the Open Game License?

The Open Game License is a legal document originally created by Wizards of the Coast in 2000. It is made to assist in sharing game mechanics, but still protecting the rights of the creator. It's a pretty simple document to understand.

2) Do I have to use it?

If you use any of the mechanics of the Fudge system you have to include the open game license. This is part of the share-alike concept that you cannot make something for a free engine and not share it with others.

3) Do I have to release my stuff under this license?

Make sure you understand that there are two parts of the license. There is the game mechanic which is a rule on how to do something and then Product Identity which is the world content (background, art, etc).

To give you an example for a world I have designed called Blood In Space, I made a few mechanics rule on working with character fear and morale and then the world that characters live in. I have to releas the fear and morale rules under the Open Game License while I can release the world content under either normal copyright or as I did under the Creative Commons license.

Remember, only the mechanics are released under OGL.

4) What if I don't want to use it for game mechanics?

If you do this then you'll be in violation of the license. I know in the case of fudge, Mrs. Dupuis will let you know you're not compliant and give you a chance to make it so. If you continue to refuse to then you're going to wind up having your mechanics blocked. You could even face legal charges at the extreme.

The rule is so simple that I don't see why you would not just use it.

5) I don't loose my rights to my content then under OGL?

Again, Mechanics are the only thing under OGL and you're still the creator of it. It's just that you have to release it like the system is.

ann wrote:

"Open Content" is simply anything you want other people to be able to use in their own works under the same license (the Open Game License).

That MUST include any work that's based on anything released under the OGL. That includes anything in the Fudge System Reference Document (essentially the Expanded Edition of Fudge published in 2000) and also in the Fudge 10th Anniversary Edition. Plus any Fudge materials you're using from other Fudge publishers and designers.

So, does it mean that if I wanted, for instance, to translate the whole content of the 10th Anniversary Edition into Portuguese it would be possible, as long as I don't use the artwork and logos contained in the book? Or am I failing to understand something?

ann wrote:

So, does it mean that if I wanted, for instance, to translate the whole content of the 10th Anniversary Edition into Portuguese it would be possible, as long as I don't use the artwork and logos contained in the book? Or am I failing to understand something?

Oh, and sorry for the duplicate/blank posts, guys.

heder.osny wrote:

That's correct. :-)

You might want to look around because there may already be some Portuguese translations of Fudge.... I know that O Legado is a Fudge game in Portuguese.... and there have been a couple of Brazilians who've asked me if they could  translate Fudge to Portuguese but never actually finished (that I know of).

As far as I know, O Legado is no longer produced (I've never even seen a copy of it personally, I've been looking for it at second-hand stores), and the only other translation of the core Fudge rules was made in 2003 (so it missed much of the material in the 10th Anniversary Edition). Other than Fate, that is also being translated and should be released still this year, I think my translation will be the only current one. current/smile

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
dcshuman
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Latest Posts

I'm glad it's useful
Looks very clear on my 'phone. Thanks for...
Hi, I took some time to reformat the Fudge SRD...

Dice Roller

Settings...
Color: 
Number: 
Done

Member Login