GreyGhostGames

EZFudge Essentials: is this book we've been waiting for?

EZFudge Essentials: is this book we've been waiting for?

Since traffic here is glacial I don't check in as often as I should, but I'm certainly glad that I did today.

Although there were no new posts I did spot a recently uploaded file, the latest version of Bob Portnell's EZFudge called EZFudge Essentials. It's streamlined from the previous (now hard to find) edition and makes no claim to be "ultimate" in any way, but it might well be the sort of simple, predefined generic Fudge build so many of us have wished for, something we can point people to when they say that Fudge requires too much work. Digest format, which also makes it highly readable on small tablets, and surprisingly comprehensive. So far I'm impressed.

Have a look in the file section. This deserves to be more widely known.

‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone.
A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’

- Samuel Johnson

BigJackBrass
Two Separate Gorillas
useravatar
102 Posts
Website 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: EZFudge Essentials: is this book we've been waiting for?

Mr. Brass, I thank you for these kind words.  Essentials is nice, but it isn't going to be a "learn how to roleplay" book. Like "The Black Hack," it does assume someone in the group already groks RPGs ... but then they can use EZFudge Essentials to get everyone going.

(Interesting that the second edition of "The Black Hack" made a hard turn into trying to teach... but that may be easier when you're in the classic D&D vibe.)

Cheers,
Bob P

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

I suppose I can borrow this thread for a second to mention that the "Ultimate" version of EZFudge is still around ... my latest, probably last, site is nvdaydreamr.neocities.org.

nvdaydreamer wrote:

Essentials is nice, but it isn't going to be a "learn how to roleplay" book

That's true, but if any Fudge game achieves that then I suspect it will be the upcoming  The Princess Bride RPG. Every other Fudge book is only likely to be found by existing roleplayers.

What EZFudge Essentials offers, I think, is an answer to the "But Fudge isn't a game, it's a toolkit" argument heard each time its name comes up in forum discussions. It's a compact and straightforward pre-built version of the game, adaptable but also ready to run. Pointing people towards the big Grey Ghost hardback hasn't made many converts; I think that EZFudge Essentials might help.

‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone.
A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’

- Samuel Johnson

BigJackBrass
Two Separate Gorillas
useravatar
102 Posts
Website 

EZFudge as a demonstration build has always been part of the mission since my Fudge "ah-hah!" moment in 2001. The flexibility of the core engine needs to shown off sometimes in ways that don't require scores of pages of rules. (Though my take on skills/roles might be going too far for many tastes.)

On the other hand I'm skeptical that any text can teach the role-playing experience at any word count. So much depends on the spirit and social dynamic of the group.  I share your hopes for The Princess Bride, but I just don't know.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
dcshuman
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Latest Posts

I'm glad it's useful
Looks very clear on my 'phone. Thanks for...
Hi, I took some time to reformat the Fudge SRD...

Dice Roller

Settings...
Color: 
Number: 
Done

Member Login