GreyGhostGames

Resurrecting the Fudge forums

Resurrecting the Fudge forums

Overhauling fudgerpg.com (and especially the forums) has been on my to-do list for a decade. Time and energy and resources have conspired against this....

So, why now?

My main driver right now is that there's been a wonderful upsurge in interest in the Fudge RPG (helped most recently by The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game, which should be available soon!)...

... but no central "watering hole" or "office cooler" for Fudge fans to connect to other Fudge fans.

I'm still hosting the old Fudge RPG Yahoo Group (the successor to Carl Cravens's original Fudge email list), but it's rarely used. That may be because Yahoo Groups are no longer the "in" thing... I know I've stopped using Yahoo Groups for anything but Fudge....

There's a Fudge RPG discussion group on Facebook, which is great for me because I'm online in FB every day...

There was Google+, which was just as active, if not more so, as the Facebook and Yahoo groups, but is vanishing (right about now)....

I know there are some folks posting to various reddit topics, but I haven't taken the time to "grok" reddit so I don't frequent those.

Likewise with MeWe, where Mike Harvey/s created a new Fudge discussion group there (haven't had a chance to join to check it out yet)....

RPG.net is a HUGE community of gamers, and there's lots of discussion of FATE there, but very little discussion of Fudge. In my experience if someone /posts/ things about Fudge there, or responds to other posts mentioning Fudge, it draws some Fudge fans out... but it's easy to get drowned out among all the other discussions.

Fudge fans have suggested various other venues for connecting with one another, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

So my dream is to revitalize fudgerpg.com to provide a central connection point for Fudge fans...

... and I think a much better-formatted and better-working Forum would help.

The most expeditious solution would be to simply take the current forums (running on Agora Pro, which hasn't been supported in years) and archive them (read only but still available to view).

Then create a new forum from scratch (with not NEARLY as many topics and subforums) using Kunena (the top forum add-on for Joomla, which we use to build our websites).

So, comments? Suggestions?

Also if you know of any Fudge "watering holes," please list them here, with links and a short description.

Thanks!

Edited by: ann - Apr-01-19 13:23:27

Ann DupuisGrey Ghost Press, Inc.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Resurrecting the Fudge forums

I'd love the forums here to be the central repository for Fudge.

Simplifying it would be a great move as it's a barrier to posting (at least it has been for me).

There is also a Discord server which is linked to Plus or Minus where I've seen some Fudge chat recently. I haven't done anything with it yet and I'm not really sure how Discord works as you can't find something just by searching, I think you need an invite, which I'm not sure how to give.

What we ultimately need is a critical mass of gamers posting here so that it attracts others - hopfully that's something we can achieve.

The Convenient Skill
Swashbuckling Fudger
useravatar
28 Posts
Website 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

I fully support this idea and will post some thoughts later today!

Edited 2 threads together:

What I can't find in the current Fudge Forums is a "here's all the new stuff since you last visited without having to go to every individual thread with a new post" button

Looks like Kunena might have ability

https://www.kunena.org/forum/recent

-----------------

Did a quick web search. Discourse looks interesting....

1) Would a system that integrates FB login work? Would it be secure enough for Grey Ghost? Would people trust it?
   https://www.discourse.org/integrations

2) Another part of Discourse it it uses 'just-in-time-loading' so it feels more like a FB or chat thread
      https://www.discourse.org/features

Edit:

Added information about setting up your own Discourse server instead of using the centralized services (which may have 'who-owns-this-content' issues)

https://www.sitepoint.com/community/t/i … ree/215355

Edited by: Beautifulharmony - Apr-01-19 16:00:05

Beautifulharmony
Highly Skilled Roustabout
useravatar
26 Posts
Website 

The Convenient Skill wrote:

I'd love the forums here to be the central repository for Fudge.

Simplifying it would be a great move as it's a barrier to posting (at least it has been for me).

My suggestion is that many of the subcategories would work just as well as individual threads 'pinned' to the top of the thread.

For example, from what I can see, FudgeRPG.com only needs 3 subtopics instead of 6

Fudge RPG.com -> Events
                                  Tech Support
                                  Website

In the Website subcategory, pinned to top would be threads:
                      Online Store Suggestions
                      Website Suggestions and Comments
                       Forum Suggestions
                       Legalities (specifically about the Web Site, defer TM and OGL stuff to ONE category under Fudge System)

Edited by: Beautifulharmony - Apr-01-19 16:02:43

Beautifulharmony
useravatar
26 Posts
Website 

I'd love to see the forum revamped. At the moment it's only barely fit for purpose, mainly because so much is done on mobile devices these days and the current forum software really does not play nicely with them, as I discovered when I tried to report some spam the other day.

Facebook is never going to attract me and many of the other options I've tried - Reddit, Discord etc - simply don't have the functionality of a good forum. Finding old topics, answers to common questions and the like is a real pain on some of them, whereas a forum is perfect for generating and retaining useful game material and discussions. It's a shame that G+ has been killed.

Definitely streamline the subsections; and I'd suggest making the forum easier to find from the main page if possible. If it's ever going to be a place to drop into frequently and attract passing gamers too then it needs to be easily accessible.

The proliferation of platforms in recent years has hammered a lot of forums, but with G+ disappearing I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about the lack of good alternatives: I think this deserves to be the first choice.

‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone.
A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’

- Samuel Johnson

BigJackBrass
Two Separate Gorillas
useravatar
102 Posts
Website 

I don't have any great insights on what the hot platforms at the moment, but I can offer a couple of observations.

1. Don't discount RPGNet.  I may have "accidentally" necroed a Fudge thread on RPGNet recently. It generated an additional 4 pages of Fudge discussion. That's like a year's worth of posts on a dedicated forum such as this or the Reddit Fudge subforum. The thread in question was this: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads … re.700266/ 

2. Whatever you do, wherever you end up, consider how you'll let the Fudge faithful know how to find you.

3. I see the original post is dated April 1st post? Did we all just fall for the oldest prank in the book?  :-)

Ping.

Any news?

Beautifulharmony
useravatar
26 Posts
Website 

Sorry, Real Life took April away from me....

Making the time to start making changes is the biggest challenge....

Good comments and suggestions in this thread, thank you!

Ann DupuisGrey Ghost Press, Inc.

If the "powers that be"  would recognize one forum as the "official" one, I know I would be more active. I can go weeks sometime without checking my email, so its hard to join some conversations, unless I'm actively looking for something. Being able to easily search a forum is important and I like the idea of a file repository.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
dcshuman
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Latest Posts

I'm glad it's useful
Looks very clear on my 'phone. Thanks for...
Hi, I took some time to reformat the Fudge SRD...

Dice Roller

Settings...
Color: 
Number: 
Done

Member Login